Life in Saudi

11:08:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

The meager income of jobs here in the Philippines has pushed a lot of Filipinos to look for opportunities outside the country. This modern diaspora was mainly driven by the low economic status of our nation. This is why nurses, who are in demand in other countries, opt to work overseas for them to be able to give their families a better life.
life in saudi
The Middle East, specifically Saudi Arabia, remained the top destination of Pinoys in the past years. The flourishing economy of Saudi and their need for workforce, especially in healthcare, have made it easier for Filipinos to secure employment in the Kingdom. Furthermore, the income is tax-free and most of the employers in Saudi offer free accommodation and transportation for their employees, which made it more inviting for job seekers.
working as a nurse in saudi
I, for one, had the opportunity working in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I worked there as a staff nurse for two and a half years. It was not an easy job. I even do work outside of my scope. My colleagues and I would usually joke that we are not just nurses, we can also be the cleaner, the secretary, the pharmacist, the medical technician, the security guard, the receptionist and sometimes, the doctor.

If you have worked in Saudi, you might know what I mean. But to those wondering, I was simply saying that nurses are usually considered as the utility man or all-around workers back there. We serve as pawns to raging patients and the receiving end of blames. Trust me, whenever there's something wrong, you would always here them say "hada mamarida", which means "that nurse".
nurse in saudi
Working there was truly a test of patience, I learned how to deal with different kinds of personalities and I became more understanding and nurturing to the people around me. It was also a test of faith since Christian churches are not allowed there. However, there are secret churches where I usually attend. My fellow church members became my family there. I can't even describe how much help and comfort they gave me during my home sick moments. It is truly a blessing to have Christian friends in times of difficulties.

Albeit hard, I can't really say that I did not enjoy my stay there. There are places that I could go to when I want to rest and unwind. My favorite spots were the red sea, Al-shalal theme park, and sight seeing with cable cars in Taif. I also do retail therapy (shopping!) when stressed, especially when stores are on sale during Ramadan and Hajj. Clothing items can go down up to 10 Saudi Riyals each (for real!).
nurse in saudi
All things considered, I can say that my stay in Saudi was worthwhile. It did not only help me to become a better nurse, but it also molded me to be a better Christian.

So for those nurses who are planning to work in Saudi Arabia, ask the Lord for guidance and His will. And remember to always be the Christian who will shine the light of Jesus.

Note: the first step through your journey is taking the Licensing Exam of Saudi Council.
You can click this link for the process: Complete Guide on how to apply for a Saudi Prometric Exam

God bless you!